New Make: Breton Top (from the GBSB Book)

I thought I'd share my first make from my recent fabric haul (yes, I am working through my stash!) ...



This is the Breton Top from The Great British Sewing Bee: From Stitch to Style book by Wendy Gardiner. I've tried this pattern in the short-sleeved hack (which is a really quick and simple make) but this time went for the full, long-sleeved version. I made it in this lovely, soft organic cotton, striped double knit, which has a nice weight to it and is really nice to sew with (and it's currently on sale).  I wanted to make this tee as I have a similar RTW top (from a great, ethical company) that I really love and wanted to see if I could make my own version.

 

The pattern has a dropped shoulder (which I love), but there are a couple of things I'd like to change the next time around.  I also really like the way it's cut so that the stripe circles the lower sleeve but meets a downward stripe on the dropped shoulder. This is a really nice design feature for a style made for stripes. The pattern also includes two small side splits, which I decided to leave off.


Adjustments for next time: Looking at the photos, the stripe and the pattern make me look a bit wide on top (I'm more of an hour-glass shape, with my tops usually being a size smaller than my trousers/skirts).  The pattern kicks out a little at the bottom of each side, which I actually think I'll eliminate on this version by sewing down the seam in a straight line. I also think the neckline is just a little too wide for me. I just need to figure out how I will do this (any tips are welcome!)

I wanted a relaxed fit, but I'm now thinking that maybe I should have sized down on the pattern (I have a tendency to make everything up one size!)

Verdict: I think I'll make this one again, with some adjustments, it's a quick make and a nice pattern.  I just need to start to pay more attention to sizing now I'm developing my sewing skills.

D.

Comments

Popular Posts